Friday, January 6, 2012

Our First Time

Not without my own washer and dryer!

My in-laws were living in Muscatine, Iowa, at the time when John heard of a piece of land for sale in Mapleton, Illinois.  They were coming back to their farm home that Pat and I were renting in Pekin, Illinois, and wanted their home back and us out. 
        For sale, 2 acres, a 3 bedroom home with a full basement.  This is a mobile home that is set permanent on a foundation, $9500. 
        Pat and I had looked at a couple places, but I’d say they were just an afternoon of adventure or just something to do.  I thought that this may be just what we needed to start our family.  We had been married for about two years, and I thought it was time to have children.  At the age of 20, working in the foundry at Caterpillar Tractor Company in Mapleton, this could be the perfect location.  It was far enough away from both of our families that we could really be out on our own. 
        Thankfully they let us purchase the place on a “Contract for Deed” without anything down and only $95.00 a month.   
        I have often wondered why people decide to buy a home.  My reason was, I wanted a child and Pat said that she wanted our own home and a washer and dryer first, before having kids.  Crazy reasoning I know, but that was how we thought back in 1972. 
        We were back in Mapleton a few months back and went over to see if our first place was still there.  Yes, the person that owned it now had put a large fence around the place so you could not see the trailer anymore. Also there was a cow skull and horns above the gate drive.  Scary! 
        That was our first time.  Are you ready to jump into the role of home owner? I would love to know your reasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment