Monday, December 19, 2011

The Modern Christmas

I think I have been called a “Scrooge," the “Grinch” or just cheap by about everyone I know.  It has been a running joke in the family that Pop Pop just does not like Christmas.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I love the concept, or let’s say I love the thought of Christmas.  I grew up hearing the story by Charles Dickens, The Christmas Carol.  It is still one of my favorite stories of all time; I still try to catch the original version on the TV each year about now.  The other Christmas poem that I remember well begins like this;
Twas the night before Christmas,
when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
This poem by Clement Clarke Moore published in 1844 has become a fixture and portrait of the perfect family Christmas.
I remember when growing up my parents tried to make sure each of us kids had several presents under the Christmas tree to make sure we were just like all the other kids.  One year my mother tried so hard!  One of my presents was a new belt to hold up my pants.  I must have needed the belt, but give me a break!  This is pressure that is not needed for a family trying to put healthy food and warm clothes on their family.  Do I sound bitter?  Sorry, I don’t mean to.  We were one of the happiest and well fed families that I knew.  My father worked each day at a job that paid well for a man that did not get his high school diploma until I was in seventh or eighth grade.  His factory job for the time fulfilled all our needs.  At Christmas he would take a part time job to make sure we had enough.   I remember him selling shoes for Carson Pier Scott in Peoria and my mother working for a dry cleaners to give us extras.  Were times different?  Maybe, I’m sure there are families today that do the same to make their families come up to the “norm”. 
Today the normal family is more like the TV show with Chevy Chase and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.  Clark Griswold tries to make the perfect family holiday for all his family, including both sets of parents and the dim witted cousin Eddie with his dysfunctional family and dog.  The home and the tree is the ultimate of what can be attained by an over achieving Santa.  I have never tried to do this at my home and it would probably give Pat a heart attack should she come home and find I attempted to do so.  A few weeks back I was listening to Christmas music on my CD in my truck and had forgotten it was still playing when we got in to go somewhere.  It started playing and I believe if we would have been somewhere other than my garage, she would have thought it was someone else’s truck. 
This holiday is supposed to celebrate the birth of Jesus and the giving of him presents by the wise men and kings.  We have lost that concept today.  Some of us celebrate his birth, life, death and resurrection in our lives each day.
If you must invite your relatives and friends over and enjoy seeing all of the children playing and how they have grown, then do so.  A little note here, I was at Panera’s for lunch Sunday before my open house.  I was minding my own business and a couple about my age sat at the table beside me and started eating and going over their Christmas list.  Like many others, they were comparing what they had gotten and what they had left to get from their list.  When they finished that part of the conversation the next topic was what they planned on doing with those that were visiting from out of town.  Were they going to stay at their home or a hotel, maybe at another in-town relative’s home?  These were all valid questions that needed to be addressed.  What was troubling to me was a comment made and seconded by the spouse.  Whatever we do, I just don’t want to spend much time with “this couple”.  Wow, to dislike someone that much that they could not spend a couple days with them is sad.  I know of some relatives that haven’t spoken in years because of a small or big conflict.  What happened to the saying “what would Jesus do.”  Especially on his supposed day, I give you the American Baby Boomer Couple. 
If you still want a special day fine, I believe it is time for this holiday to change dramatically.  It has run its course like the Post Office and the local library.  Don’t get me started on those two agencies.  I will, at a later date write my feeling on them.     Decorate your homes and interior of the house to your heart’s content; put enough lights and decorations on there to be seen from the International Space Station.   Presents should be stopped at the age of 18 or maybe 16 when you get your driver’s license. Make this a holiday for only intimate family to celebrate.  Traveling this time of year in the North and Central part of the county is a hazard.   Thanksgiving is a more logical holiday to do family celebrations. Spend time with your children and teach them the true meaning of the holiday.  Keep gift giving to a minimum in the family.  This is the time of the year when you should give of yourself to others.  One of my presents to myself each year is to reevaluate if I am doing all I can for those I love and consider close. 
 Try to slow down a little.  The holiday should be more a look into yourself and a glow that generates from a love you should have for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment